Coronavirus: specific advice for people living with diabetes
To avoid catching or spreading Coronavirus
- Wash your hands with soap and water frequently – wash for at least 20 seconds
- Always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water isn’t available
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands
- Try to avoid close contact with people that are unwell
- Touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
While the risk of getting Coronavirus is moderate in the UK, if you have diabetes and start to feel unwell you need to follow the sick day rules for type 1 or type 2 and check your blood glucose frequently. If you have diabetes and you have symptoms such as a cough, high temperature and feeling short of breath, you need to continue taking your medication and call the NHS 111 phone service. Have a look at our internal resource to keep updated with all the latest COVID-19 guidance.
It’s important not to go to your GP surgery, hospital or pharmacy if you think you may have Coronavirus, please dial NHS 111 for further medical advice.